Refried Beans






I usually purchase a one pound bag of pinto beans. I soak them overnight. Rinse in the morning. Boil beans for several hours. I have used a pressure cooker in the past, but lately use my slow cooker. I add plenty of water, salt and pepper, garlic, and a teaspoon of bacon fat. You can get creative here and add a tablespoon of chili powder and cumin if you like those flavors.

Once the beans are soft and easy to mash, I remove them from the water and fry them on my largest frying pan. I use Crisco but you can also use olive oil. After frying, I mash the beans, adding some of the liquid the beans were boiled in. I add a few tablespoons of sour cream and more liquid until I get the consistency I like. I like to add garlic powder and salt and pepper, experimenting until I get the right flavor. I add about one-half cup of cheese.

My husband and I stop at this point and use this recipe in burritos or just to munch with tortilla chips. Some in my family like onion which I can’t eat and they add some taco sauce or salsa to the beans for more flavor.

Comments

yum, yum, yum!!

I put up a recipe on the weekends on my blog and talk about my faith the rest of the week, hence my blog name Cooking Up Faith. :)

I love seeing new recipes. Your refried beans one is a new one for me. Thanks!
Big Fat Mama