Amy’s Ginger Cookies
1.5 cups of shortening
2 cups white sugar
½ cup molasses
4 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon salt
1. Melt the shortening in a large pan on the stove; cool.
2. Add sugar, eggs, and molasses and beat well.
3. In a separate bowl mix all the dry ingredients. Add to pan. Mix well and chill for 3-4 hours or overnight.
4. Form dough into walnut-size balls. Roll in granulated sugar and place on cookie sheet 2-inches apart.
5. Bake at 375 degrees, F. (190 degrees, C.) for 8 to 10 minutes.
6. Store in an airtight container to keep them from getting overly crisp. If they do lose their softness, a good way to revive them is to place a piece of fresh bread in the container with the cookies for a couple of hours and they will be soft again!